Friday, January 29, 2010

That Hideous Strength . . .

I'm reading again--just took a break and thinking about the book. I'm so relieved that Jane has met up with the Dennistons. I realize how silly this is on one level--since I've read the book how many times?! And I know the outcome. But I think it's kind of like the character of Rochester in The Eyre Affair; the characters relive each episode as it is being read by someone in the "real" world. And he says that each time he experiences it--even though he knows the ending--he experiences the original joys and sufferings. But he says he doesn't mind because any joy he experiences with Jane is worth any amount of suffering. In the "original" ending of Jane Eyre, in the Eyre Affair, she does not marry Rochester. How could anyone even imagine such a thing! Anyway, that seems to be the way I re-read this book, which makes it rewarding and satisfying every time!

Well, just wanted to post that while I was thinking about it. Back to reading now.

No comments:

Post a Comment